- 1T. fish sauce
- 3T. plum sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 ½ T. dark brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 ½ inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, more or less depending on how much heat you like
- 2 pounds of tuna, cut into 4 equal steaks
- 1 ½ T. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 scallions, diced
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat to a brief simmer and keep warm.
- Oil the tuna steaks and season with salt and pepper. Heat sauté pan over medium high heat and sear both sides of the tuna for about 2 minutes on both sides.
- Serve with the sauce and a sprinkling of scallions over the top.
I made this for my kids and myself for a mid-morning snack. We all sat on the kitchen floor like we were having a picnic. I served it with Swiss chard and at first my kids only pointed to the tuna, but I said to them they would have to have both together and they loved the tuna so much they all agreed. It’s one way to get them to eat vegetables. I mean at their ages, I will do anything to get them to do so even if it’s giving them a great piece of tuna. ~Enjoy!