- 1 ½ pounds scallops, cleaned and patted dry
- 3 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet dumpling squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large red onion, halved and cut into wedges
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 3 T. real maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the squash, red onion, 2 T. olive oil, thyme, and maple syrup in a large bowl and mix to cover the squash.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake until squash in cooked through and the red onion are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the squash is nearly ready, heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper and sear them on both sides, this will take about 2-3 minutes, depending on the size of the scallops.
- Serve the scallops with the squash and onion.
You could use any type of winter squash for this. I happen to love the sweet dumpling with its subtle sweetness and with the addition of maple syrup, to me, it’s a dream combination.