- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-2 Serrano chilies, diced, with or without seeds
- 2 stocks lemon grass, each cut into 5 pieces each
- 2 cups fish stock
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 2 T. fish sauce
- Zest of 2 limes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 bags of mussels
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add the Serrano chili or chilies, with or without seeds depending on your heat threshold. Add lemon grass.
- Pour in fish stock, coconut milk, fish sauce. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes so that all the flavors meld together.
- Once the 10 minutes is up, return the broth to a boil. Add the mussels and cook until they open. Remove from heat and add the tomatoes and gently stir in.
Leave the seeds out for less heat or just use one chili. My friend, Tommy and I stood around my kitchen devouring these. We could eat mussels for hours, but this recipe makes a starter for 6 or a good sized meal for 4.