- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, chopped but still in bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 chipotles, chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs cod, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 box of batter mix, made according to manufacturer’s instructions
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- ¼ head of purple cabbage, cut into strips
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oil in a large pot to 325 degrees. Combine first 5 ingredients, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Combine the sour cream and chipotles, mix well and set aside
- When the oil reaches temperature, dip pieces of fish into the batter to cover and gently place them in the hot oil. If you go too quickly the oil may splash back at you. You will need to do the fish in 3 batches so as not to overcrowd the pieces in the pan Fry each batch until they are golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain the excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- At the same time, heat the tortillas in the oven on low heat. You want the m to get soft but not crunchy so you will need to watch them.
- To assemble, take a warm tortilla, put some cabbage in the bottom, then layer the fish. Next add the tomato and avocado relish and lastly the spicy sour cream.
This is a fun dish to do with friends. When we did it, we just stood around the kitchen munching on them and drinking a bit of beer, which I have to say was needed with the spiciness of the sour cream.