- 4 6oz pieces of Scottish Salmon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 2 shallots chopped finely
- 1 package gnocchi
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 pears, diced
- 4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat broiler. Oil the salmon with 1 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a sauté pan, add bacon until almost crisp. Add shallots and cook until translucent. Add the gnocchi and thyme and cook until the outside of the gnocchi has a nice crisp outside but the inside is still soft.
- Meanwhile, place the salmon in the oven and broil for about 7 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Add balsamic to the bacon gnocchi and stir, letting the balsamic get absorbed by the mixture. Add pears and pull off the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salmon with the gnocchi.
The Scottish salmon was like butter in my mouth. All of the flavors of this dish melded beautifully with one another. The thyme brought a real earthiness to it and the balsamic added just enough acidity to balance it all. Make sure that you crush the thyme when you add it to the dish to get as much flavor out of it as possible.